As a certified yoga instructor and naturopath, changing lives has been my passion for many years. When I began yoga, I didn’t use essential oils. At best, they smelled ‘ok’. At worst, they gave me a headache. I focused mainly on poses, meditation, breath work, nutrition and living the yoga lifestyle.
Then I tried powerful essential oils. My mind opened and life changed.
We lightly diffused scents during class to increase relaxation, centering and de-stress. People loved it! They started to diffuse at home, work and cars. The ‘zen’ state from class carried into their daily lives. Whole families were being helped and changed. The results were amazing and inspiring.
Why do essential oils and yoga go together?
- Support emotional and spiritual wellness.
- Help to focus the mind.
- Support respiration and breathing.
- Enhance the relaxation of muscles.
- Ease discomfort.
- Help to ground and balance.
- Strengthen the connection to the physical body.
Enhance your life and yoga class with these favorites.
#1. Cleanse. Homes and yoga mats love Sanitizing Spray:
120 ml spray bottle (glass or aluminum)
12 drops Lavender
12 drops Tea Tree
Pinch of Epsom Salts
Fill with purified water and shake.
#2. Diffuse uplifting oils. to enhance emotional wellness: Try Balance, Breathe, Cypress, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Serenity, White Fir, or emotional blend.
#3. Hydrate. Add a drop of approved ingestible citrus oil to a glass water bottle. Try Fennel, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Peppermint, or Wild Orange*
#4. Dilute and apply to focus, breathe and relax.
- To center the mind and help coordination, try Arborvitae, Balance, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Sandalwood, Spikenard, or Vetiver to the bottom of the feet.
- For respiration, dilute and rub 1-2 drops of one of the following oils on your chest, back of the neck or inhale by cupping your hands. Try Breathe, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Peppermint, and Rosemary.
- To promote mental focus, place 1-2 drops on the brow (circular motion), back of the neck, or forearms. Try Frankincense, In Tune, Lemon, Peppermint, or Rosemary.
- For muscle relaxation before, during, or after a yoga session, dilute AromaTouch, Cypress, Deep Blue, Grapefruit, or Lemongrass and rub into lower back, knees, or sore areas.
For more information on how essential oils can enhance your yoga practice, to shop or spread wellness together, reach out me at HeatherMcKinney.com.
* Tips: Start with diffusing. Dilute for topical. Ingesting is not required. Prior to any ingesting, call the company: ask if oil is approved and for tips. These statements are intended to support general wellness. They have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not diagnose treat, cure or prevent illness. See medical attention as necessary.
Read more articles by Dr. Heather McKinney at Heather McKinney, Doctor of Naturopathy contributor archive page.