In the last few months, my work has been even more fulfilling, my income has doubled, my health has improved, and I am riding the horse I have always dreamed of! “What happened?!” you ask. “Did you win the lottery?” Nope! I sat down one morning with a cup of coffee and wrote a vison for the life I would love to live. When you become really clear about the life you would LOVE to live, write it down and start living from it, you too will be amazed at the opportunities and resources that emerge to make it happen.
Lately I have been talking with just about anyone who will listen about the importance of writing a vision of the life you would love to live. Not just having some nebulous idea of what you would like to do, be, or have, but actually sitting down and writing about what you would LOVE! The reason I am so adamant about this practice is because I experienced first-hand the power of doing so.
What is a vision? Your Vision contains your dreams for your life. It’s a mental picture of your ideal life. It acts as the foundation for everything that is yet to come.
Here are a few tips on writing a Vision for a life you would love –
- A Vision is written in the PRESENT tense – “I AM …floating down the Mississippi River with friends; sitting in my new sun porch having coffee; riding my horse, motorcycle or driving my new red sports car on a beautiful summer day…”
- Include everything you would like to do, be and have! This is no time to be timid – think big and bold! If it is not uncomfortable, it is too small!
- There is NO HOW when writing your Vision. Do not worry about the HOW. Only WHAT you would love to do, be and have. The HOW will take care of itself.
- A Vision is not a Strategic Plan! As a matter of fact, if you write a Plan before writing a Vision, you will put limits and boundaries on your Vision.
- It must light you up as you read it! You must love it! On a scale of 1 to 10 it must score a ten!
It is not easy to find the time to break away from everyday duties and responsibilities to just dream. Make the time. It will be worth it.
Remember…Together WE Can Make it Happen!
Read more articles by Joan Washburn at Joan Washburn, Executive Life Coach contributor archive page.