Can you guess what one of the major stumbling blocks of success that I hear often in coaching sessions? In other words, what excuse do you think I hear the most. Read on to see if your guess was correct.
Recently I went to hear the motivational speaker, author, and business consultant, Mathew Kelly. His talk was titled Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose. Mathew Kelly has dedicated his life to helping people and organizations become the-best-version-of-themselves! Right up my alley!
At one point he pointed out something we all need for watch out for when we realize that we need to develop some new habits or discard some old ones to be the best version of ourselves – EXCUSES!
We all have the desire to be happy, to live a life of meaning, but don’t we just come up with the best excuses for not doing what it takes?!
There are practically as many excuses as there are people on the planet! However, today I am going to zero in on just one, because I hear it a lot!
Some people spend half their lives using the excuse that they are too young and the other half – they are too old!
If that sounds like something you say, here are some fun facts to consider:
If you think you’re too young:
- Anne Frank wrote The Diary of Anne Frank when she was 13
- Mozart wrote his first music composition at age 5
- Bill Gates started Microsoft when he was 19 and
- Joan of Arc led the French army to victory at the age of 16
If you think you are too old:
- Beethoven wrote the Ninth Symphony when he was 54 and nearly deaf
- Fauja Singh ran his first Marathon at the age of 84 and his most recent in 2016 at the age of 104!
- Hulda Crooks scaled Mt. Whitney at 101.
- Mother Teresa began her mission to care for the lepers in Calcutta when she was 40.
NOW is the time! Excuses hold us back and are just another example of that self-limiting chatter my clients fondly refer to as Monkey Mind.
So here is your Quick Tip – Take some quiet time, think about what gives your life meaning. If you’re doing it – good for you! If not – what’s your excuse? Once you see your favorite go-to excuse, just put it aside and take a small step toward that something that really matters to you.
If you’d like some support contact me to set up a Breakthrough Session because remember…
Whatever your Goal or Dream – WE Can Make it Happen!